Last name origins & meanings:
- German: topographic name for someone who lived by a stream,
Middle High German bach ‘stream’. This surname is established
throughout central Europe and in Scandinavia, not just in
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): ornamental name from German
Bach ‘stream’, ‘creek’.
- English: topographic name for
someone who lived by a stream, Middle English bache.
- Welsh: distinguishing epithet from Welsh bach ‘little’, ‘small’.
- Norwegian: Americanized spelling of the topographic name
Bakk(e) ‘hillside’ (see Bakke).
Czech, and Slovak: from the personal name Bach, a pet form of
Bartomolaeus (Polish Bartłomiej, Czech
Bartoloměj, Slovak Bartolomej (see Bartholomew) or possibly in some
cases of Baltazar or Sebastian).
Comments for Bach