Last name origins & meanings:
- German, Dutch, and Jewish (Ashkenazic): from Middle High German
or Middle Low German banc, or Yiddish bank ‘bench’,
‘table’, ‘counter’, in any of various senses, e.g. a metonymic
occupational name for anyone whose work required a bench or counter,
for example a butcher, baker, court official, or money changer.
- Danish and Swedish: topographic name from bank ‘(sand)bank’
or a habitational name from a farm named with this word.
and Swedish: from bank ‘noise’, hence a nickname for a loud or
noisy person. Compare Bang.
- Danish: habitational name
from the German place name Bänkau.
- English: probably a
variant of Banks.
- Americanized spelling of Polish
Bąk, literally ‘horsefly’; perhaps a nickname for an
- Hungarian (Bánk): from a pet
form of the old secular personal name Bán.
Comments for Bank