Last name origins & meanings:
- German: occupational name for a maker of wooden vessels, a
shortened form of Becherer, the loss of the final syllable
having occurred in the 15th century.
- German: occupational name for someone who distilled or worked with pitch, for
example in making vessels watertight, from an agent derivative of
Middle High German bech, pech ‘pitch’.
- Scandinavian: either the German name (see 1 and 2 above) or a
variant spelling of Becker.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): metonymic occupational name from Yiddish bekher ‘cup’.
- English: topographic name, a variant of Beech with the
habitational suffix -er.
Comments for Becher