Last name origins & meanings:
- North German: patronymic from the personal name Bode, or
from a short form of any of the many compound names with the element
- German: topographic name for someone living in a
valley bottom or the low-lying area of a field, Middle High German
boden ‘ground’, ‘bottom’. Compare English Bottom.
- Swedish (Bodén): ornamental name, possibly from
bod ‘small hut’ + the common surname suffix -én, a
derivative of Latin -enius ‘descendant of’.
- English: according to Reaney, a late variant of Baldwin.
- Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Buadáin.
Comments for Imboden