Last name origins & meanings:
- English: nickname from Middle English bold ‘courageous’,
‘daring’ (Old English b(e)ald, cognate with Old High German
bald). In some cases it may derive from an Old English personal
name (see Bald).
- English: topographic name for someone who
lived or worked at the main house in a settlement, from Old English
bold, the usual West Midland and northwestern form of Old
English bōðl, bōtl ‘dwelling house’, ‘hall’.
- English: habitational name for someone from Bold in Lancashire,
which is named with Old English bold ‘dwelling’, as in 2 above.
- German: from the Germanic personal name Baldo, a
short form of the various compound names with the element bald
‘bold’, notably Baldwin in the north, and Reinbold in
- Swedish: probably of German origin.
Comments for Bold