Last name origins & meanings:
- English: habitational name from Bury in Lancashire (now part of
Greater Manchester), or from some other similarly named place. The
place name comes from the dative case, byrig, of Old English
burh ‘fortified place’. Compare Burke, originally used
after a preposition (e.g. Richard atte Bery).
- French: habitational name from places so named in Marne and Oise. The place
name is from Buriacum, the name of a Gallo-Roman estate,
composed of the personal name Burius + the locative suffix
- German: probably a variant spelling of
Buri. According to Gottschald, however, it is from French
- Czech (Burý): topographic name from
bur ‘pine wood’.
- Czech (Burý): descriptive
nickname from burý ‘dark’.
Comments for Bury