Last name origins & meanings:
- English: from Anglo-Norman French gerner ‘granary’ (Old
French grenier, from Late Latin granarium, a derivative
of granum ‘grain’). It may have been a topographic name for
someone who lived near a barn or granary, or a metonymic occupational
name for someone in charge of the stores kept in a
- English: variant of Warner 1, from a central Old
- English: reduced form of Gardener.
- South German: from an agent derivative of Middle High German
garn ‘thread’; by extension, an occupational name for a
- Altered spelling of Gerner.
Famous people with this last name:
This name appears in the following lists:
Black History/Civil Rights Leaders
Comments for Garner