Last name origins & meanings:
- English (chiefly Midlands and northern England, especially
Yorkshire): patronymic from Hann or the byname Hand.
- Irish: shortened Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó
hAmhsaigh (see Hampson 2).
- Irish: variant of
- Respelling of Scandinavian Hansen
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): metronymic from the
female personal name Hanna.
- A family by the name of Hanson were established in America by John
Hanson, one of four brothers sent there by Queen Christina of Sweden
in 1642. They were grandsons of an Englishman who had married into the
Swedish royal family; he was descended from a certain Roger de
Rastrick, who had lived in Yorkshire in the 13th century.
Famous people with this first name:
Comments for Hanson