Last name origins & meanings:
- English and French (Héron): nickname for a tall, thin
person resembling a heron, Middle English heiroun,
heyron (Old French hairon, of Germanic origin).
- English: habitational name from Harome in North Yorkshire,
named with Old English harum, dative plural of hær
‘rock’, ‘stone’. This surname has evidently become confused with 1.
- Irish: reduced form of O’Heron, an Anglicized
form of Gaelic Ó hUidhrín ‘descendant of
Uidhrín’, a personal name from a diminutive of odhar
- Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó
hEaráin (see Haren).
- Irish: reduced Anglicized form
of Gaelic Mac Giolla Chiaráin ‘son of the servant of (Saint)
Ciarán’ (see Kieran).
Comments for Heron