Last name origins & meanings:
- English: habitational name from any of three places in Essex
– Layer Breton, Layer de la Haye, and Layer Marney – all named
from a river name, Leire, or from Leire in Leicestershire, also
named from an identical river name. The river name is of Celtic origin
and is probably the base of the tribal name Ligore, found in
the place name Leicester.
- English: nickname or status name
from Anglo-Norman French le eyr ‘the heir’. Compare
- English: occupational name for a stone layer, Middle
English leyer; the job of the layer was to position the stones
worked by the masons.
- German: habitational name for
someone from any of the various placed named Lay, in the
Rhineland and Bavaria.
Comments for Layer