Last name origins & meanings:
- German (south and Rhineland) and Dutch: from a reduced form of
the medieval personal name Eloy (Latin Eligius, a
derivative of eligere ‘to choose or elect’), popularized a
6th-century saint who came to be venerated as the patron of smiths and
- German: habitational name from Loy in Oldenburg.
- Dutch: variant of Lowy.
- Italian (Sardinian): from the
personal name Loi, a short form of Balloi, a pet form of
- Spanish and Italian: possibly from a reduced
form of the personal name Eloy (see 1 above), of which the
Italian form is Eligio.
- French (Picardy): nickname
for someone who was quick to have recourse to the law: a frequent or
vexatious litigant, or perhaps a metonymic occupational name for a
Comments for Loy