Last name origins & meanings:
- English: from the Norman personal name Malg(i)er,
Maug(i)er, composed of the Germanic elements madal
‘council’ + gār, gēer ‘spear’. The surname is now also
established in Ulster.
- Hungarian: from a shortened form of
majorosgazda (see Majoros), or a derivative of German
- Polish, Czech, and Slovak: from the military
rank major (derived from Latin maior ‘greater’), a word
related to English mayor and the German surname Meyer.
- Catalan and southern French (Occitan): from major
‘major’ (Latin maior ‘greater’), denoting a prominent or
important person or the first-born son of a family.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): variant of Meyer 2.
Comments for Major