Last name origins & meanings:
- English: from the medieval female personal name Malin, a
diminutive of Mall.
- French and Dutch: from the Germanic
personal name Madalin, a short form of compound names with the
initial element madal ‘council’.
- Serbian: patronymic from maly, Serbian mali ‘small’; compare
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): metronymic from
the Yiddish female personal name Male (a back-formation from
Malka as if it contained the Slavic diminutive suffix
-ke) + the Slavic metronymic suffix -in.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): habitational name from Malin, a place
Comments for Malin