Last name origins & meanings:
- English: variant of Mace 1.
- French (Picardy): metonymic occupational name from masse ‘mace’,
- French: habitational name from places called Masse
(Allier and Cô-d’Or), or La Masse (Eure, Lot, Puy-de-Dôme,
- French (Massé): habitational name
from a place called Massé in Maine-et-Loire, so named from
Gallo-Roman Macciacum (from the personal name Maccius +
the locative suffix -acum).
- Dutch: from Middle Dutch
masse ‘clog’; ‘cudgel’, perhaps a metonymic occupational name
for someone who wielded a club.
- Dutch: possibly a variant of
Maas 1, or a patronymic from Mas.
Comments for Masse