Last name origins & meanings:
- French (Mazé): habitational name from a place in
Maine-et-Loire, named in Latin as Masiacum ‘estate of Masius’,
from the personal name Masius + the locative suffix
- French (Forez): topographic name from a
feminine form of mas ‘farmhouse’, ‘house in the country’ (see
Mas 2), or a habitational name from a place called La Maze
(Ardèche) or Les Maze (Hérault), named with the same word.
- French (Mazé): from a pet form of
- Northern Irish: of uncertain origin;
possibly a variant of May.
- Slovenian: possibly from a
short form of the personal name Tomaž or its pet form
Tomaže(j) (see Thomas).
Comments for Maze