Last name origins & meanings:
- English: variant spelling of Mellis 1.
- German: variant of Melius.
- Dutch ((van) Melis): variant of Millis 2.
- Czech and Slovak (Meliš), and Hungarian: from a short form of the Biblical personal name
Melichar (see Melchior).
- Greek: from the
personal name Melis, a pet form of Meletios or
Meliton (names of various early saints and martyrs). The
personal names are derived from either meli ‘honey’ or
meletan ‘care for’, ‘study’.
- Italian (Sardinia
and southern Italy): habitational name from a place so named in
- Lithuanian: nickname from melis ‘blue’.
- Latvian: unflattering nickname from melis ‘liar’.
- Latvian: variant of Mellis.
Comments for Melisent