Last name origins & meanings:
- Irish (County Donegal): Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó
Muighe ‘descendant of Muighe’, of unexplained
etymology. The English surname (see 2) has also become established in
- English (Norfolk): unexplained. Compare Moy 1.
- French: habitational name from places so called
in Aisne and Saône-et-Loire, named in Latin as Modiacum
‘(estate) of Modius’ (see Moya 2).
- Norwegian: habitational name from any of several farmsteads in southwestern
Norway named Moi, from Old Norse mói, the dative case of
mór ‘sandy plain’.
- Chinese: possibly a variant
spelling of Mei 1.
Comments for Moy