Last name origins & meanings:
- English, Dutch, Danish, and Swedish: from Middle English, Old
Norse, Middle Dutch neve ‘nephew’, presumably denoting the
nephew of some great personage.
- French (Nève): Lyonnais habitational name from the Rhône place name En Nève,
which derives from misdivision of En ève ‘in water’ (modern
standard French en eau).
- Italian: from the personal
name Neve, which may be from neve ‘snow’ (Latin
nix, genitive nivis), possibly denoting a white-haired
or very pale-complexioned person, or, according to Caracausi, may be a
variant of the personal name Neves, from the Marian epithet
Madonna della Neve or Maria Santissima ad nives ‘Mary of
- Portuguese and Galician: from neve
‘snow’. Compare 3.
- A family by the name Neve traces its descent from Robert le Neve,
living in Tivetshall, Norfolk, in the 14th century.
Comments for Neve