Last name origins & meanings:
- German: from a medieval personal name Palmatius, borne by a saint who died in 286.
- Northwest German: topographic name from Middle High German palme, balme ‘pussy willow’, the tree that traditionally provided the branches for Palm Sunday processions, or habitational name from a house distinguished by the sign of a palm tree.
- German: from a reduced and altered form of a personal name formed with Old High German bald ‘bold’, ‘brave’ as its first element.
- Swedish: ornamental name from palm ‘palm tree’.
- Dutch: nickname for someone who had been on pilgrimage to the Holy Land (see Palmer), from palm ‘palm tree’.
- Dutch (Van Palm): habitational name denoting someone from any of several minor places called Palm or Palme.
- Translation of French Lapalme.
Comments for Palm