Last name origins & meanings:
- English (mainly East Anglia): metonymic occupational name for
someone who dealt in weights and measures, for example a grain factor,
from Middle English pekke ‘peck’ (an old measure of dry goods
equivalent to eight quarts or a quarter of a bushel).
- English: variant of Peak 1.
- Irish: variant of Peak 2.
- South German: variant of Beck.
- North German and Dutch: metonymic occupational name for someone who prepared or sold pitch,
from Middle Low German pek, Middle Dutch pec,
- Dutch: from Middle Dutch pec,
pick ‘desperate straits’, hence a nickname for a person in
difficult circumstances or perhaps for someone with a gloomy
This name appears in the following lists:
Comments for Peck