Last name origins & meanings:
- German: from a short form of any of the various Germanic
personal names with the first element hrōd ‘renown’. Compare
- North German, Danish, and English: topographic name for someone who lived on land cleared for cultivation
or in a clearing in woodland, from Middle Low German rode,
Danish rothe, Old English rod. Compare English
- English: habitational name from any of
the many places named with this word, as for example Rode in Cheshire.
- Slovenian: topographic name from the adjective rod
‘barren’, denoting someone who lived on a barren land.
- Slovenian: nickname from the Slovenian dialect word rode
‘person with disheveled hair’, a derivative of rod ‘curly’ or
Comments for Shrode