Last name origins & meanings:
- Dutch, Polish, and Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): ethnic and
regional name from Middle Dutch Sasse, Polish Sas
- Dutch (Van Sas): habitational name
denoting someone from places named Sas in North Brabant and Zeeland.
- Catalan: topographic name from a pre-Roman term meaning
‘mound’, ‘hillock’, or habitational name from any of the places named
Sas in Catalonia.
- French: variant of Sasse 2.
- Hungarian: nickname from Hungarian sas ‘eagle’.
- Americanized form of Hungarian Szász,
an ethnic name for a Saxon.
Comments for Elsass