Last name origins & meanings:
- Chinese: from the place name Shan. bc) of the Zhou
dynasty, granted to a son the area of Shan, and the son’s descendants
adopted the place name as their surname.
- Chinese: from a word meaning ‘mountain’. The legendary emperor
Shen Nong (2734–2697 bc) was supposedly born on Lie
Mountain, the name of which he gave to one of his sons. One of the
descendants of that son adopted the word for ‘mountain’, shan,
as his surname. Another source of the name was an official post that
existed during the Zhou dynasty (1122–221 bc) called the
Mountain Master, which carried the responsibilities of overseeing
mountains and forests. Again, the word for ‘mountain’, shan,
was adopted as a surname.
- Indian (Gujarat): Hindu (Vania)
name of unknown meaning.
- Reduced form of northern Irish and
- Variant of English Shann.
Comments for Shan